The Abbott Government has trashed the principle of arm's length funding free from political interference, argues the Opposition.
Following the Budget announcement that $104.8 million will be diverted from the Australia Council to a new National Programme for Excellence in the Arts run by the Ministry, ArtsHub asked the Minister for the Arts Senator George Brandis and the Shadow Minister Mark Dreyfus to outline their thinking. The Minister declined, but his point-of-view was explained on RN this week. The Shadow Minister's analysis is below. For more on what the change means for artists, read ArtsHub's article, What the Australia Council cuts mean for you.
This content is only available to members of ArtsHub
Join Now for instant access!
A subscription to ArtsHub will enable you to:
- Access the most comprehensive jobs board for the arts sector, with hundreds of positions posted weekly
- Keep up to date with the latest industry news
- Access thousands of members-only features, articles and guides
- Be in the know with upcoming events and exhibitions added daily
- Learn how and where to get grants, with the most extensive grant finder
... and much, much more.
Join Now and join the Australian arts community today