The axing of AusCo's ArtStart program has independent artists fearing the worst for their creative future.
The cracks in funding for the Australian arts sector are well and truly showing after $104.8 million was ripped out of the Australia Council’s budget, causing the suspension of the new six-year funding program, the cancellation of the June grant round, and the discontinuation of ArtStart, the Creative Communities Partnerships Initiative, and Artists in Residence programs.
For emerging artists and arts practitioners – the future of the Australian arts sector – the loss of ArtStart is particularly hard to swallow. In what is already an extremely competitive and volatile industry, without opportunities provided by ArtStart, graduates will have fewer pathways to develop skills, receive training, and gain access to resources to build sustainable arts careers.
This content is only available to members of ArtsHub
Join Now for instant access!
A subscription to ArtsHub will enable you to:
- Access the most comprehensive jobs board for the arts sector, with hundreds of positions posted weekly
- Keep up to date with the latest industry news
- Access thousands of members-only features, articles and guides
- Be in the know with upcoming events and exhibitions added daily
- Learn how and where to get grants, with the most extensive grant finder
... and much, much more.
Join Now and join the Australian arts community today