Who are we?
The Lyon Housemuseum was established by Corbett and Yueji Lyon in Melbourne in 2010. The first of its kind internationally, the Housemuseum uniquely combines residence and private museum into a single, architecturally designed building. In 2010, Larry’s List named the Housemuseum ‘one of the world’s 10 most exciting buildings of private museums.’ Through its innovative juxtaposition of art and living, the Housemuseum challenges conventional ideas of public and private domains and explores new relationships between art and viewer.
The Lyon Housemuseum Galleries is a new public museum to be operated by the Lyon Foundation – a not-for-profit art entity established in 2012.
Having opened in March 2019, the new Galleries welcomes visitors six days each week throughout the year. The new Galleries provide a series of expansive exhibition spaces to experience and explore inspirational and adventurous contemporary works of art, architecture and design.
About the Role:
Volunteers at Lyon Housemuseum Galleries are to assist in delivering a warm welcome to all visitors, providing guided tours to visitors, facilitating learning activities in the galleries, and helping with gallery operations.
Ideal Candidates will:
- Have a passion for art and design, and a desire to share this passion with our visitors
- Be confident in providing tours to gallery visitors, this includes self-guided and peer to peer learning about the exhibitions and works
- Have clear, friendly, and welcoming communication skills
- Be keen to gain experience working in a contemporary art and design organisation
- Have experience working in public facing roles
- Have a good working knowledge of art and design
- This role requires a commitment of a minimum of one shift per fortnight (either weekdays or weekends). The galleries will be open Tuesday – Sunday between 10am-5pm
- Be available for occasional assistance with evening openings, talks and workshops, usually between 5 pm and 9 pm on weekdays.
- Assist with install/deinstall of exhibitions when required.
- Attend a Team Meeting at the beginning of every new exhibition.
- Be punctual and organised
- FREE annual tour of the original Lyon Housemuseum
- FREE access to all programs, lectures and workshops
- 1 complimentary guest pass for the Housemuseum Galleries per month
- Letter of recommendation for work or study purposes
- Complimentary tea or coffee on arrival
- Annual Volunteer Event
This is an unpaid volunteer role (days and hours variable)
Shifts are Tuesday – Sunday, between 10-4pm during exhibition periods. We are currently seeking volunteers with weekend availibility.
Minimum commitment is one shift per fortnight, either on a weekday or weekend. Volunteers are rostered on a recurring shift on either a weekly or fortnightly basis.
Volunteers are expected to attend all information sessions and actively participate in gallery activities.
Location – Kew, Victoria
Please submit your current CV with a cover letter that answers 'Why do you want to volunteer at the Lyon Housemuseum Galleries' to Gallery Manager Ashlee via email@example.com
Only successful applicants will be contacted regarding their application.