VOLUNTEER POSITION DESCRIPTION
Volunteering at the Housemuseum Galleries
POSITION: Volunteer Gallery Assistant + Visitor Guide
LOCATION: Lyon Housemuseum Galleries, Kew
REPORTS TO: Gallery + Operations Manager
REMUNERATION: No remuneration is applicable to this volunteer role
MINIMUM COMMITMENT: 6 months, and one volunteer session per fortnight
ABOUT LYON HOUSEMUSEUM + HOUSEMUSEUM GALLERIES
The Lyon Housemuseum was established by Corbett and Yueji Lyon in Melbourne in 2010. The first of its kind internationally, the Housemuseum uniquely combines family residence and private museum into a single, architecturally designed building. In 2010, Larry’s List named the Housemuseum ‘one of the world’s 10 most exciting buildings of private museums.’ Through its innovative juxtaposition of art and living, the Housemuseum challenges conventional ideas of public and private domains and explores new relationships between art and viewer. The Lyon family live in the Housemuseum and open the building and collection for pre-booked public tours on designated days each year.
The Housemuseum Galleries is a new public museum operated by the Lyon Foundation – a not-for-profit museum entity established by Corbett and Yueji Lyon in 2012. Having opened in March 2019, the new Galleries welcomes visitors six days each week throughout the year. The Galleries provide a series of expansive exhibition spaces to experience and explore inspirational and adventurous contemporary works of art, architecture and design.
Volunteers at the Housemuseum Galleries assist Galleries staff by undertaking various activities that support the galleries engagement with visitors, relevant artists, and members. Our Volunteers act as a public face for the museum, delivering a warm welcome to visitors, providing information on current exhibitions, helping with customer service and ticketing, providing guided tours to visitors, assisting with the facilitation of learning activities in the galleries, and supporting general gallery operations.
If you would like to join us as a Volunteer, please submit your current CV with a covering letter outlining why you would like to be a to volunteer at the Lyon Housemuseum Galleries' to Gallery Manager Ashlee via email@example.com
What you might do as a Housemuseum Galleries Volunteer.
As a Volunteer, you are able to provide support to the Galleries’ purpose and activities.
Things you might be asked to assist with include:
- offering helpful information to gallery visitors about:
- current exhibitions and works
- the story of the Lyon Housemuseum and the Housemuseum Galleries and the Lyon Collection including Founding Patrons Corbett and Yueji Lyon.
- tour information and booking procedures for the Lyon Housemuseum and Housemuseum Galleries.
- information on upcoming events and public programs
- assist with front desk operations, ticketing and gift shop sales
- provide exhibition tours to gallery visitors
- assist in the presentation and cleanliness of the Galleries
SECURITY + SAFETY
- assist in supporting the safety and security of visitors, team members, works of art and the museum.
- take responsibility of your own health and safety and that of other volunteers, team members and gallery visitors, complying with all safe work policies and procedures implemented at the Galleries’.
- filing and other administrative type activities
- other activities as offered the Housemuseum Galleries team
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for Volunteers who have the following skills, qualifications or experience to fill this volunteer role:
Ideal Candidates will:
- Have a good working knowledge of and passion for art, architecture and design, and a desire to share this with our visitors
- Demonstrated well developed interpersonal and communication skills with a personable manner
- Be confident in providing tours to gallery visitors. This includes engaged self-guided and peer to peer learning about the exhibitions and works
- Be keen to gain experience in a contemporary art and design institution
- Be available for occasional assistance with evening openings, public programs and workshops
- Be available for the occasional assistance with the install/deinstall of exhibitions.
- Attend a volunteer briefing at the beginning of every new exhibition.
- Attend at least one public program during each exhibition period
- Be punctual and organised, with the capacity to commit to one ongoing shift either weekly or fortnightly.
It is important to note that this is an unpaid volunteer role (days and hours variable). You are not engaged as an employee of the Lyon Foundation or Housemuseum Galleries.
This role requires a minimum commitment of one shift per fortnight.
The Galleries are open Tuesday – Sunday between 10am-5pm, with volunteer sessions scheduled at 10am – 1pm, 11.30am – 3pm and 1 – 4pm.
Volunteer sessions are generally scheduled on a recurring basis, either weekly or fortnightly.
Volunteers are expected to attend all information sessions and actively participate in gallery programs and activities. We are committed to recruiting dedicated, volunteers who have the skills and experience appropriate for this role.
This position description is intended to provide an overview of the volunteer role and may change from time to time.
Location – Kew, Victoria